Monday, March 23, 2015

Randy Newman and the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra: I Think It's Going to Rain Today

Re-posted by Nicholas Stix

If Samuel Beckett had been reincarnated as a singer-songwriter, he would have been Randy Newman. Irony in the darkest hopelessness (except that he’s also a communist) and depravity.

Newman is to singing what Steven Seagal is to acting—an abomination. I tried to find the album version of this song, from Sail Away, to no avail. He doesn’t even try to sing here.

Is Newman a worse singer than Bob Dylan? That’s a tough one. I might have to flip a coin.

But some of this songs were sublime songs, and some were funny. Listen to that orchestra. That’s his music. At the time, I had no idea that he was capable of such melodies, but that was before I saw The Natural, which has the greatest score I’ve ever heard.

Replacement Recording: The Kopyright Kops Got to the First One
 


 




Uploaded on Nov 3, 2008 by scofak.

Randy Newman & Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra, cond. Roelof van Driesten.
Rotterdam, Netherlands, 1979.

I Think It’s Going to Rain Today
Randy Newman

Broken windows,
In empty hallways,
A pale dead moon,
In a sky streaked with gray.

Human kindness is overflowing,
And I think it’s going to rain today.

Scarecrows dressed in the latest styles,
With frozen smiles to chase love away,

Human kindness is overflowing,
And I think it's going to rain today.

Lonely, lonely,
Tin can at my feet,
Think I’ll kick it down the street,
That's the way to treat a friend.

Right before me,
The signs implore me,
Help the needy,
And show them the way.

Human kindness, is overflowing,
And I think it's going to rain today.

No comments: