Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Who was Virginia Dare?

By Nicholas Stix
Revised at 1:14 a.m., on Thursday, August 19, 2010.

She is one of the most important figures in American history, and yet, hardly anyone today under the age of 50 knows who she was.

Today is her 423rd birthday.

She was the first English child born in the New World, and Peter Brimelow, the founder, editor, and publisher of the brilliant Webzine I write for,
VDARE, named it after her. Heck, I only learned of her historical significance through reading VDARE.

I haven’t asked Peter, but my hunch is that he didn’t name his publication “Virginia Dare,” because it would be a bit clunky for the times, and didn’t name it “VD,” because that is the abbreviation, for people of a certain age, of “venereal disease.” (Having recently celebrated my annual 21st birthday, I’m speaking for Peter, of course, not myself, when I say “people of a certain age.”)

Virginia was not the “first white child” born in the New World, as some anti-white racists have claimed.

But she was almost certainly slaughtered because of the color of her skin, along with the other inhabitants of the Roanoke Island colony, all of whom vanished without a trace. (The anti-white racists don't mention that part.)

Every year my VDARE colleague, James Fulford, commemorates Virginia Dare’s birth. This year’s essay is entitled, “Virginia Dare’s Birthday and the New Colonizers.” Like all of James’ articles, it is a worthwhile read, and it links to fascinating earlier commemorative essays by him, Steve Sailer, and other folks and organizations.

For those who seek to destroy the historic American nation, eliminating the memory of Virginia Dare is essential. Let’s not permit them to succeed in either endeavor.

P.S. You'll also want to check out Vanishing American's take on this important anniversary.

* * *

Have you read the testimonials that the academic debate community has written on my behalf?

No comments: